Cricklewood Farm’s Pumpkin Patch – Fresh-picked
At Cricklewood Farm you can get a PRE-PICKED pumpkin from our farm market. Pumpkins are usually available late September (depending on the season) and October. (Check out our hours here!)
Prices depend on the pumpkin’s size. Some will weigh close to 40 lbs while others will be 3 to 4 oz.
We have all kinds of pumpkins to meet your decorating, cooking and Halloween needs: orange, white, striped, big, small & mini. You will always have a wide variety to choose among: tall ones, round ones, and tiny decorator pumpkins. Cricklewood grows pumpkins of every size and shape, in many different colors.
Pumpkin Handling Tips:
– Don’t bruise the pumpkin or it will not last as long.
– They store best at temperatures between 40 & 50 degrees Fahrenheit
– Instead of cutting off the top of the pumpkin to remove the seeds, try cutting off the bottom. This will allow the pumpkin to sit up straight and make removing the seeds easier.
– If you need to carve your pumpkin a few days before Halloween you can preserve it by rubbing petroleum jelly on the carved portion or by bathing the pumpkin in water mixed with a little bit of bleach.
Available through our market or via pick-your-own!
– Use firm, bright-coloured pumpkins.
– To bake, wash outside of pumpkin, cut in half, scrape out the seeds and pulp, and brush the inside with melted butter and a little salt.
– Cover with foil. Bake at 350 F for about 50 minutes, or until tender.
– Scoop pulp from skin. Mash with potato masher or put in blender.
– Add to your favourite recipe or freeze for later use.
– A 3 lb pumpkin yields 4-5 cups.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Ingredients: 2 cups pumpkin seeds; 2 tbsp oil; 1-2 tsp salt
Separate seeds from pumpkin pulp.
Wash & dry thoroughly.
Coat seeds with oil and salt.
Bake on a baking sheet at 250 degrees Fahrenheit until seeds are dry, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.